The production of a Printed Circuit Board (PCB) may be achieved in a number of ways. The most common are:-
- By drawing using a etch resist pen followed by chemically etching.
- By laying transfers and chemically etching.
- By photo processing and chemically etching.
Two further methods may also be used:-
- By directly etching, mechanically using a computer controlled router.
- By directly drawing onto copper using a plotter, followed by chemically etching.
The method adopted was that of directly plotting the tracks onto copper board and chemically etching. This way eliminates one stage, that of producing a mask either photographically or by using transfers.